Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have an 8 year old male Boxer. He had a mast cell cancer

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old male Boxer. He had a mast cell cancer removed about 4 weeks ago, from his side. The sugeon said most times on Boxers they stay isolated to the area and he would get good margins and he had no other mast cell tumors on his body. A few days ago he developed a large mass behind his ear. A needle aspiration was done and nothing significant was found. (No aggressive cancer cells) Do u know what this could be? The vet thought it could be lymphoma, but the findings were not conclusive for it. He is on prednisone now for 2 weeks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
The mass behind the ear could be one of many things. I would definitely want to get it biopsied to know for sure what it is. Usually we can get a diagnosis with a needle aspirate. If the needle aspirate comes back as inconclusive from the pathologist, then I would remove and biopsy or just take a punch biopsy of it.
My guess is that it's a benign soft tissue mass. This could be one of many things. Lipomas (fatty lumps) are the most common. Lymphoma is unlikely if the needle aspirate didn't show that. Those are easy to diagnose with needle aspirates.
I would get a diagnosis as soon as you can, though, to set your mind at ease.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. He's on prednisone started 5 days ago. It doesn't seem to be reducing the size. The mass seemed to appear very quickly as well. Could this still be a lipoma?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Yes, a lipoma will not change size with Pred. Pred is to reduce inflammatory lesions or allergic reaction lumps. A true skin mass (benign or malignant) won't change much with Pred alone. They require surgery.