Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 4 year dachshund jumped in the pool and hurt her back

Customer Question

Hi!! My 4 year dachshund jumped in the pool and hurt her back ... It's been 3 days and it's getting worse I'm taking to the vet tomorrow but in the mean what can I do to relieve the pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. Sorry to hear Willie is uncomfortable ... 1. In terms of human over the counter pain killers you really only have one reasonably safe option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } for example almost all of which which should be avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity issues in the dog. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK 2. Other than aspirin all you can do is to keep Willie as quiet and as still and as comfortable as possible until you can get her to the vet. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!!
Hello again , No problem, very glad to have advised you. Also I should be available online today for at least the next three or four hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. Kindest regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Willie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her back problem.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Cinthia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Willie. How is everything going?