Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I got a puppy a few days ago and I switched her food to

Customer Question

Hi I got a puppy a few days ago and I switched her food to arcana and gave her breath freshener in her water and today I got home from work she won't eat or drink and she has a yellowish mucus in both sides of her mouth I'm worried.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your puppy. I'm so sorry she isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
The first few days with a puppy can be especially nerve-wracking because neither of you are used to each other or settled into a routine that you're comfortable with.
You're off to a good start already by mixing her old food back in. It's never a good idea to change very much all at one time with a young puppy.
You also did the right thing by discontinuing the breath freshener in her water. I cannot see where such a product would ever be a good idea or even necessary for a puppy, and would not be likely to recommend such a product.
That being said, the breath freshener may have nothing at all to do with your current situation.
Because puppies are so young and fragile, they don't have much reserve to help them cope with illness. To be on the safe side, I'd recommend taking your puppy to the vet to have the inside of her mouth examined as soon as possible. I'd go to the emergency vet if you have one available.
There are a variety of illnesses and injuries that can cause a puppy to lose her appetite and get yellow mucus around her mouth. The sooner you get her medical attention, the sooner you'll have answers and get her on the road to recovery.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just checking in to ask how your puppy is doing and to see if you have any further questions after reviewing the information I provided above.
I'm hopeful she's doing better by this point, too, and that she's had a vet visit to determine the nature of her problem.
Please do take a moment to send an update when you can.
Thank you.