Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is 200 Mgs. of AMoxicillan too much .5 lb dog? My dog

Customer Question

Is 200 Mgs. of AMoxicillan too much for 13.5 lb dog? My dog is panting.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. 1. Amoxycillin is a commonly used broad acting antibiotic in small animal veterinary medicine and is often used to treat dogs.2. A typical dose of rate for amoxicillin would be around 10 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day for say a seven day course. For your 13.5 pound dog this works out at 135 mg twice a day, however Amoxycillin like most antibiotics has a very high margin of safety in the dog so I would very much doubt if the 200 mg will have caused your dog any harm, and higher dose levels are sometimes prescribed by vets depending on the circumstances.3. Where I supply information about drugs or dose rates I like to give a link so that clients can check the accuracy of what I have told them and read the other information such as contraindications : LINK 4. From the above I would very much doubt if the panting is in any way related to the Amoxycillin, what you are seeing is more likely related to the disease for which this antibiotic was prescribed. Bear in mind though that it can take two or three days for this sort of antibiotic to kick in, but of course if you become more concerned you should have your vet check your dog over again. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.