Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog had one pup 2 days ago. she has been panting like she

Customer Question

My dog had one pup 2 days ago. she has been panting like she is in labor ever since. She trys to move the pup and has it in her mouth a lot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Willow. I'm so sorry she's having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
Can you please start by answering the following questions for me...
1. Is this Willow's first litter?
2. Do you know for certain there was only one pup in the litter (usually via x-rays or ultrasound)?
3. When was Willow's most recent veterinary examination?
Thank you.
I'll be typing in my answer in the meantime.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please let me start by saying you really got my attention when you said she has continued to pant as if she is still in labor. This makes me worry that there are still more pups inside. It's possible that one is stuck in the birth canal, or that her uterus is simply too worn out to finish the job. Regardless, this could indicate some potentially life threatening complications.
In regards ***** ***** trying to move the pup a lot and having it in her mouth, that is not particularly alarming. Some mother dogs do that a lot more than others.
The real concern here is how uncomfortable Willow seems to be and the high degree of likelihood she's experiencing some complications from labor and delivery.
Additionally, I want to clarify that it can be dangerous to provide supplemental feeding to a puppy under circumstances like this. The puppy needs to nurse to receive vital antibodies and nutrition from her mother. Additionally, it is the act of nursing that stimulates milk production; without that, milk production will shut down.
It's also important to note that even well-intentioned owners can end up causing aspiration pneumonia when feeding tiny puppies. The rate of puppies dying due to incorrect feeding is very high particularly when the owner is inexperienced.
Supplemental feeding should only be performed as a last result when nursing is not an option.
You're correct to be worried about Willow. If she were my dog, I'd be calling the vet and arranging for an exam right away - even if that meant at an ER.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I feel it is important to be complete and honest in my answer to you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.