Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.
It sounds like Scout has a poor appetite and minimal water consumption and has been lethargic for the past few days.
Lack of an appetite and lethargy can be related to eating something he should not have, too many treats
or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis
, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism), inflammatory bowel disease, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma
(unlikely at his age).
Because he hasn't eaten normally in several days and he isn't drinking I am very concerned about him. Because he isn't drinking well either he will quickly become dehydrated.
Ideally he would see a veterinarian today if this has been going on for more than 72 hours. Simple stomach
upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine him, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate him and know best how to treat him.
In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate him.
If you cannot have him seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.
At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine
) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help him feel less nauseous so that he will eat and drink. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.
A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken
or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.
If he continues to not eat he should see her veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.