Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has white spots under the skin. The beautician saw them when

Customer Question

my dog has white spots under the skin. The beautician saw them when bathing him.He is a Yorkshire terrier.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm puzzled by the statement "under the skin". Unless the skin were translucent, we wouldn't be able to see under the skin. I suspect that you're describing vitiligo which is an asymptomatic condition that is characterized by one or more macular areas of depigmented skin (leukoderma). No treatment has been consistently documented but the prognosis is good because this is a cosmetic disease that doesn't affect Archie's quality of life. The depigmentation is usually permanent but in some dogs, spontaneous repigmentation eventually may occur.
Can you upload a photo of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Hi Brenda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Archie. How is everything going?