Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog has his nose cracked I gave him peniciling 500

Customer Question

Hi .
my dog has his nose cracked I gave him peniciling 500 mg for three days and his nose got better.
but now is starting again
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i keep the penicilin treatment?
Or what other medicine I need to give him
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Hugo. I'm so sorry he's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
Trying penicillin was a good first effort, but evidently it's not going to be enough to do the trick in the long run. There are a lot of different things that can cause the nose to crack on an otherwise healthy 3-year-old bully breed like Hugo, and most of them require more than penicillin for a permanent cure, unfortunately.
Some dogs get a really bad cracked nose from exposure to sunlight. This is especially common in dogs with white muzzles.
Other dogs develop a syndrome known as collie nose (discoid lupus). You can learn more about it here...
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=2470
Dogs who dig a lot can end up with a cracked nose from a fungal infection, and that won't stay heal until you treat it for several weeks with an antifungal medication.
And that's just a few of the things that can cause a cracked nose on a dog.
So the quickest, cheapest, and best way to get Hugo's nose back in shape will be to take him to a vet so you can find out exactly what the cause is. Then you won't have to guess at the treatment and will be able to get him started on the road to recovery as quickly as possible.
I hope this information helps to answer your question.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Sorry... I just now received your second reply.
Should you keep using the penicillin? No. That would only solve the problem if this were a bacterial infection and nothing more. Clearly, there is more going on here because the problem came right back.
What other treatment should you try? I wouldn't advise trying any more treatments until you know what's causing the crack. Then you'll be able to choose a treatment that will work instead of guessing and wasting more time and money on things that don't work.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to ask you how things are going with your dog.
Is there anything else I may help you with?
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer. If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
I know what it's like to have a frustrating problem that seems like it won't heal, so I want to be as helpful as possible.
Thank you for using our website.