Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 yr old lab was vomiting on Monday and yesterday and this

Customer Question

my 7 yr old lab was vomiting on Monday and yesterday and this morning he had blood in his stool
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What has he brought up in his vomit?
Is he eating?
Can he keep water down?
How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more, less?
Was it diarrhea?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His vomit appeared to be just food and water.probably around a spoonful of blood totalhis stool was half soft and half diarrheahe is eating and drinking fine
his gums appear normalhe could have eaten something out of my recycling boxbelly appears fine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Can you give me an idea of what would have been in the recycling box?
Cardboard? Or rotten/unused food? Compost? Fertilizer?
Did he strain when he passed those feces and blood?
Was the vomiting just the once?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there were four small patches of vomit on the rug when I came home from work. Three were mostly watery and one had food in it, so I am guessing he did the watery ones first until he threw up the food. The vomiting was just on Monday and the blood appeared yesterdayNo food. mostly plastic and cardboard in the recycling box.there has been pesticide put on the grass outside, but I did not see him eat any grasshe seems to strain just a little more than he normally does when he passes feces.otherwise he seems perfectly normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
First, I am glad to see that Chase has no issues with paling gums or belly pain. Now hopefully he hasn't had any plastic from the recycling box. Because ingestion of non-edible items(especially items that can have sharp edges) can lead to blockages and damage to the GI. Therefore, if there is any chance that he did eat anything he should not have, we need to tread with care and keep a close eye on him.
Otherwise, since he is generally well in himself and only passed a small volume of blood (which could be related to straining or due to the loose stool irritating the colon), we can take some steps while we monitor to see if we can settle this overall upset GI.
Now since he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle his stomach. To start, since he has not vomited since Monday, we can consider starting him with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx).
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Once that has had time to absorb and is more steady on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. If you do so, start with a small volume (a spoonful) to start. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea (and hopefully less colonic irritation and thus a halting to the blood being passed). As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the diarrhea is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
Since GI signs of this nature can quickly dehydrate a dog, even if he can drink, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check his hydration status to make sure he is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already (though I'd not expect it for him) then you do want to have him seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for him .
Finally, since he has had loose stool and we are concerned that this is irritating the lower bowel, you can consider trying him today on a dog safe anti-diarrheals once you address the vomiting. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset (so you could even try this without the antacid if you wished). In regards ***** ***** options for Chase, I would advise using Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx). I would avoid Pepto Bismol with him since we have had this blood and Pepto contains aspirin (which can irritate the stomach). Otherwise, Kaolin is available OTC from your local pharmacy. Otherwise, we could use Propectalin, Fast Balance, or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which are all available OTC at vets, pet stores and even Amazon). All will help with the loose stool but the last few also will provide support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe his upset GI.
Overall, GI upset of this nature can be triggered by a wide range of agent. Therefore, in your lad's case, you can start supportive care to settle his stomach at this stage. While doing so, keep checking those parameters I had you check but if he doesn't settle in the next 12-24 hours or worsens at all; then we'd want to follow up with his vet because of the possible foreign body differential here. And if we do need to have him seen, then his vet can assess his hydration and just make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses/bacteria/parasites present. Depending on the exam, his vet can treat him with an antibiotics +/- anti-nausea or gastroprotectants if need be to address this for him, settle his stomach, and get him back to normal for us.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )