Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 2 yr old pitbull. Over the last 2 weeks he has sporadically

Customer Question

I have a 2 yr old pitbull. Over the last 2 weeks he has sporadically vomitted, (3 times) mostly mucous or phlegm like substance. He has also had a few episodes of diarrhea. His appetite is decreased. But behavior unaffected. Then today I noticed the area under his neck has extra skin sagging. It's soft to touch, pliable like extra skin, possibly has a little bit of fluid in the area. He doesn't exhibit any discomfort as I palpate and examine the area. He's snoring louder than usual as he sleeps but doesn't apoear to be in respiratory distress. While at the doggy wash today, he slipped off the counter while the choke collar was still on and attacked to the sink. I immediately released it but I'm worried the initial fall and pull of the collar may have created some damage. Should I take him to an emergency vet now or can it wait until the am when his vet opens?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, as long as Buddy is breathing normally (<30 breaths per minute) and has nice pink gums (not pale/white); then this would not be an emergency situation. Therefore, you could monitor him until his vet is open in the morning.

Otherwise, I would note that if you are seeing changes around the neck (especially after the fall), then we'd do want his regular vet to check this. They can make sure that it is just inflammation and not actual fluid accumulation (which can occur in dogs with low protein levels). As well, they can dispense dog safe anti-inflammatories for Buddy to reduce this for him.

Finally, while his vet can also examine him to pinpoint the cause of his signs of GI upset and dispense treatment at the same time he is seen for his other signs, I would note that in the meantime you can consider starting him on a light diet that will be easier for his upset stomach/GI to digest. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Further to this, if he has been very nauseous, then you can also consider treating with an antacid to soothe his stomach. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/ Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And finally, if his stools have been very runny, then he may benefit from a probiotic/anti-diarrheal treatment like Propectalin, Fast Balance, or Protexin Prokolin (which are all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon).

Overall, it does sound like Buddy has a few different issues afoot and it is worth having his neck checked. That said, as long as he has good gum color and is breathing comfortably; this would not be an emergency and you can instead monitor him now with a view to seeing his regular vet when they are open.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )