Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 5 lbs dog just chewed up a AAA bettery...it had black stuff

Customer Question

My 5 lbs dog just chewed up a AAA bettery...it had black stuff in it. what do I need to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Dobby and that he has chewed up a AAA battery. If he has punctured it that is concerning because the acid in the battery is toxic and can cause severe burns in his mouth and throat. Since you are seeing the black stuff in it that is a good sign that he has punctured the battery. With his size it is best that he is seen immediately by an emergency hospital have his mouth examined and flushed out and to determine if he swallowed any of it or not. I would not recommend just watching to see how he does as more damage can be down with more time that passes. Do not wash his mouth out with water or anything at this time. It is absolutely best to have him checked out by an emergency vet to make 100% sure that he is ok.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.