Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a dog with a pinched nerve in her lower back. She has

Customer Question

I have a dog with a pinched nerve in her lower back. She has been on steroids and is now on a muscle relaxer. I talked to her doctor who says she will grow out of this when the vertebrae in her back fuse. She is a 3 year old Samoyed. He suggested surgery but there must be a medication that can help the inflammation and take care of the pain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Yes, instead of the steroids a non-steroidal antiinflammatory drug such as carprofen or meloxicam can be administered. We're moving away from steroids because of their adverse effects and because the nonsteroidal drugs appear to work as well if not better. If additional pain control is necessary, we prescribe the narcotic tramadol.
An unstable portion of the spine may indeed spondylose - a bridge of bone can form underneath two adjacent vertebra between which an intervertebral disk has herniated or ruptured (a "slipped disk"). This may reduce pain in that area but it's important to note that degenerative disk disease is often progressive; in other words, other disk spaces can become symptomatic with age. Surgery isn't indicated unless my patient doesn't respond to conservative therapy or, indeed, worsens in spite of it. Paresis (weakness) or paralysis in a limb(s) should also prompt consideration of surgical d decompression of the spinal cord.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?