Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Dr John - I have a 18 month old King Charles Cavalier, and

Customer Question

Hi Dr John - I have a 18 month old King Charles Cavalier, and I recently noticed a growth on his lower eyelid. Obviously I am concerned. Living in Arizona, I'm not sure if he may have poked himself while sniffing a cactus, or whether it may be something else. He is not in any distress
Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about the growth on your Cavalier's eyelid. I'm so sorry he's having this problem and has you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
Growths on the eyelids of dogs even at this young age are not uncommon. If this was the result of something like a cactus poke, however, I would expect it to be bothering him. If it's not appearing to bother him, it's much more likely that its a plugged gland or a stye. Eyelid adenomas (benign tumors) are also really common and don't create any irritation, but they usually occur on older dogs. Another possibility is a "cherry eye".
This link shows the typical appearance of a stye in a young dog's eye...
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-health-anatomy-physiology-breed-standard/107059-stye-cyst-under-eye.html
Cherry eyes look like the photos at the bottom of this page...
http://www.eastcentralvet.com/ophthalmology.pml
So, in summary, this isn't likely to be an injury if it isn't bothering him, but the best way to find out for certain what it is would be to have him examined by your local vet. Rest assured most eyelid problems in young dogs are uncomplicated.
Does this help to answer your question?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just checking in to see if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I provided above. I want to be as helpful as possible.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.