Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My beagle has bad skin issues thought to be allergies (itches

Customer Question

My beagle has bad skin issues thought to be allergies (itches all the time, crusty scabs, red spots on belly). Could this be from giving confortis for 10-20# ***** while she's 28#. Can fleas manifest and cause these skin problems
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to answer your question about Savannah's skin. I'm so sorry she's having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
Flea saliva (from flea bites) is a VERY common trigger for allergies in dogs, and allergies are the number one reason for itchy skin and hair loss.
It only takes one or two flea bites for a dog who is allergic to flea bites to break out with itch or hair loss. Because of that, receiving too small a dose of Comfortis could certainly contribute to making a dog's allergies worse. In other words, yes - Savannah could be having this problem simply because she hasn't been on adequate flea control.
I hope this helps to answer your questions. Please also understand that allergies in dogs are very complicated and there can be many other factors besides fleas that contribute to them. Each allergic dog is different and to best manage Savannah's skin problems will require a long-term working relationship with a veterinarian you trust.
If you are satisfied with the information I have provided, please take a moment to accept my answer and rate my response. If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I provided above. There is no charge for replying or continuing our conversation on this thread.
My goal is to be as helpful as possible in providing you with the information you need.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Savannah. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo