Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Would the dosage West Highland Terrier be 0.1 to 0.5 Mg Lomotil

Customer Question

Would the dosage for a West Highland Terrier be 0.1 to 0.5 Mg Lomotil every 8-12 hours for a 15# ***** 4.5 years old to correct diarrhea that has existed two days? I gave her a small percentage of a promethazine tablet (25mg) tablet about an hour ago for her stomach,approximately3mg, this did not help the diarrhea since it is for nausea. I thought this would settle her stomach as it has in the past when she would not eat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, you will want to be careful giving Promethazine. This is a motion sickness drug but is known to cause gastroenteritis, diarrhea, and nervous system depression in dogs. The dose you gave is within normal limits for her weight, but shouldn't be continued (especially if she doesn't actually have nausea.
Otherwise, Lomotil can be used in dogs but the dose you noted is not correct. We tend to give 0.05 to 0.1 mg per pound every 8-12 hours. For a 15lb dog that would be 0.75mg to start. You can read more about the effects of this drug and its dosing @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/diphenoxylate--logen-lomotil-lonox
Furthermore, I do want to note that there are some other anti-diarrheals that you can use here to slow things down for her gut and help normalize your wee one’s stools. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if she has happened to pick up a GI bug, but this should help settle any upset from those recent rich foods she has had. As well, these can also aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. In regards ***** ***** options you can use, the ones we use most commonly are:
* Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx)
* PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx )
Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Pro-Pectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber would be other options you could use and are available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. All will slow diarrhea and the last 2 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI.
Finally, to reduce diarrhea for her further, you may just want to offer a light diet option for the next few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). These can be fed as small frequent meals and after a few days she can be slowly weaned back to her own diet.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! :