Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dr. Deb my dog Sonny, a dachshund, began vomiting yesterday.

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Deb my dog Sonny, a dachshund, began vomiting yesterday. At first it was yellowish and watery, bile like. We thought it was due to lack of feed so we gave him a mixture of chicken and rice. We got home and he had thrown it all up. Pretty big amounts of vomit. Now he vomitted a pinkish foam and has had dark runny diarrea. No blood that I can see but its dark and clumpy. He still drinks water but seems distant. We did take him out for a walk and he seemed to handle it fine. I have a vet appointment on Wednesday at noon, I just want to know if he needs to see someone sooner.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has he been able to keep any food down?

Can he keep water down?

Is the diarrhea black?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, no actually since your message he seems to have vomitted again bit its yellowish in color with what looks like bits of food in it. Im sure the water he drank was also thrown up. The diarrea is dark black but also now a tint of red to it, sort of like blackberry or dark blueberry jam. I touched and oressed his stomach bit didnt notice him react in pain or anything. His gums are pink, not pale white, bit ponk and then they are dark red close and around the teeth. They basically go from a light pink to a dark pink. There was a good amount of vomit but the diarrea is minimal but its just really dark. The diarreas has been happening since about 5 pm ots about 6:00 am now. I dont have a Vet visit until noon of tomorrow. Im just wondering if he'll make it till then. I have heard the horror stories of HGE or things of that nature all though he isnt throwing up blood or having diarrea in large quantities. His diarrea has been about the size of a quarter or silver dollar each time. Sonny has the tendencu to eat toilet paper out of the trash bin and he has bitten the occasional toad but the last time he did that was 3 weeks ago. I dont know what else he could have eaten out of the trash. We started closing the doors to the bathrooms so he wouldnt do that. Thank you for your help. I just need to know if I ha e to rush him to the vet or if he can hold out till the appointment time

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Eric,

I share your concerned about your lad.

Now I would just note that HGE usually causes them to have bloody, jelly like diarrhea (like cranberry sauce). To see black feces is as worrisome but is suggestive of bleeding in the upper GI or stomach.The reason why the blood discolors the feces to black is due to the body digesting the blood as it passes down the intestine.

In regards ***** ***** for upper GI bleeds, the most common causes are stomach ulcers, stomach damage due to foreign body ingestion, adverse reaction to some medications, and stomach or intestinal tumors (less likely at his age). And it is worth noting that all of these issues would cause vomiting, nausea, anorexia, lethargy, and that worrying black feces.

With all this in mind, we do need to be proactive and aggressive in helping Sonny (especially since we cannot see into him bleeding stomach to tell us if there is an ulcer about to perforate the stomach). Therefore, if possible, it would be ideal to get him to the vet urgently. They can help diagnose what is triggering his signs and get him onto some oral gastroprotectants (ie sucralfate) to coat any open stomach lesions, GI safe pain relief (ie bupenorphine, etc), and anti-vomiting medication to help us get him eating again (since an empty stomach means there is nothing for the stomach acid to digest but the stomach itself). Furthermore, they can fully examine him to ensure there is nothing else afoot putting him off food that could have caused this as a secondary issue.

If you cannot get him to the vet immediately, then I would say to at least consider treating him with an antacid to lower the stomach acid pH. These are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). You will want to give these 20 minutes before offering food and under the circumstances you will want to treat every 8 hours. Of course, if he cannot even keep this down then injectable anti-vomiting and ulcer medication would be needed.

Overall, I am quite concerned about the signs you are seeing. They are tell us that we have an upper GI bleed that could be a sign of a stomach ulcer or possibly something worse. Therefore, it would be ideal to get him checked right away in this case. If there is any delay in doing so, then do treat him with an antacid now and keep a close eye on for any emergency signs (ie belly pain or paling of his gums) that he thankfully isn't showing yet.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check HERE and @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sonny. How is everything going?

nekovet