Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 4 year old Coton had her vaccines updated 6 hours ago and

Customer Question

My 4 year old Coton had her vaccines updated 6 hours ago and got the oral Bordetella. She's been retching and throwing up a little foamy bile on and off for the last hour. She wants to go out and eat leaves and won't take any pumpkin. Do I need to rush her to the ER?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thanks for your question regarding your 4 year old Coton girl. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.
Thank you for your patience.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again for your question. These symptoms are definitely a concern so soon after a vaccination, and I would be quite concerned your girl is having a vaccination reaction.
In rare cases a pet may have an allergic reaction to a vaccine, and these reactions usually happen within the first few hours after the vaccine is given (but may occur up to 72 hours after the injection). Any of the following could also potentially occur in your girl if she is having a vaccine reaction:
hives ( red welts most visible on the stomach)
swelling, especially of the eyes, lips or muzzle
profuse vomiting or diarrhea (which you are already seeing in regards ***** ***** vomiting)
excessive scratching, (may even draw blood) especially around the neck.
extreme lethargy, inability to waken
It is definitely possible that this vomiting could be due to something else entirely, but given she has had her vaccination today, I do think it is better to play it safe and have her seen by your local ER vet now if you can. Here they can carry out a full physical exam, check her temperature, and if they agree that this could be a vaccination reaction, potentially give her an antihistamine injection.
If you can't get her seen right now, then please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't accidentally bite you):
Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc