Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Can dead bugs from a bug zapper make my dog sick?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern. Sure, it could induce illness. I would suspect primarily gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, and/or loss of appetite.
It depends a bit on what bugs and how many of them were ingested.
So, if you suspect your pet has ingested dead bugs and you are observing any type of sickness, than a vet visit will be well worth it for supportive care.
Good Luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He's trying to vomit, I have him h202, and he puked upa bunch of grass and food. He's still trying to eat more grass. I Gave him some pepto, about a tablespoon and he is still not comfortable. He's an 85 pound German Shepherd

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry he is not feeling well.
Don't give hydrogen peroxide if he is already trying to vomit or has vomited up whatever is in his stomach.
The pepto bismol was okay to give but at 85 pounds, he really needs far better therapy from an emergency vet.
In addition, we don't know exactly why he is ill.
Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
Also, for this breed, be careful of stomach bloat and/or torsion. If the belly feels distended or tense, do not wait on a vet visit. That is a emergency.
But, it concerns me that he is still trying to vomit despite the pepto.
Definitely, worthy of a ER visit.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?