Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My small poodle is 13 yrs old and has had blood in his stools

Customer Question

my small poodle is 13 yrs old and has had blood in his stools for the last 3 days on and off, he acts normal and eats normal and plays with other dogs normal. He has about 3 golf ball like tumors that you can feel but does not act like they really hurt him. also his uraine is kind of yellow and he drinks alot of water. I cannot afford to take him to the vet office cause iam trying to also support 3 other dogs as well, please help. Thank You . Karen Byrum (jodaisy2020@ yahoo.com)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on your history, we do have a few concerns for what you are seeing. Specifically, we can see fresh blood associated with stool related to issues affecting the colon or lower bowel. Speifically, we can see this with issues like whipworms, anal gland disease (less likely with his being comfortable otherwise), protozoal infections (ie coccidia, giardia, cryptosporidia), bacterial or inflammatory colitis. Less commonly we can also potentially see this due to rectal polyps or tumors.
With all this in mind, if Jojo's signs have just started, then we'd want to consider some supportive care at this stage. To start, we can often soothe inflammatory colitis using a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be cooked rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in and result in less loose stool to irritate his colon. You can also feed this as small frequent meals to further decrease the volume of loose stool he is producing. I usually advise that the diet be continued until they are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
Further to this, if he has not been wormed since these signs have started, we would want to consider doing so now. To do so, you can use a good quality OTC wormer (ie Panacur, Milbemax, Drontal) to tackle out potential worm triggers and rule them out.
Finally, I would note that since an imbalance in the gut's good bacteria and overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria can trigger bacterial colitis, it can be of benefit to support his good GI bacteria. To do so, there are a range of dog probiotics and GI supplements on the market (from vets, pet stores, and even online). The ones I tend to use for general GI issues if Fortiflora or Protexin Enterogenic. Or if the stools are less then ideal, then we can use Pro-pectalin, FastBalance, or Protexin Prokolin as these contain the GI microflora support we want but also has a dog safe anti-diarrhea (kaolin) to slow the diarrhea and prevent secondary nutrient or hydration loss. These are both available OTC at vets, some pet stores, and even Amazon. So, these would also be a consideration.
Overall, these would be our concerns for the signs you are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to take the above steps to see if we can soothe his gut and settle this for him. If you do try these but do not see this settling, then a check with a local vet would be indicated. That said, since funds are a concern, there is help out there. If you have a VCA veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offer (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer). It would be an economical opportunity to get your wee one seen and offset any treatment costs. As well, Banfield offers a similar offer as well (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). If you don't have a VCA near you, then consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and subsidize care and surely will be willing to help. And in that case, if you do have him seen, you may want to bring a fresh fecal sample for the vet to send to the lab. This can be checked for common parasitic, protozoal, and bacterial causes for his colitis. Depending on which agent is present, your vet can dispense treatment (ie antibiotics, anti-protozoals, etc) to treat this effectively and settle it for Jojo.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)