Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My pitbull has been diagnosed with allergies in the past,and

Customer Question

My pitbull has been diagnosed with allergies in the past,and was recently treated for hotspots. Ive got some of the medication (a steroid ,and some spray)left from the last hotspot episode we went through. The bumps on her face are similar to the one patch that there was last time,only smaller and there's multiple...should I be concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your young Pitbull girl Mae Sue who has developed some bumps on her face recently - similar to what she has had previously with her skin allergies and hotspots. Given her history, this is most likely due to an allergy of some sort again. We do however also have to consider whether this could be caused by something else, and the main consideration here would be external parasites (fleas or mites primarily).
It sounds like you have recently applied some flea treatment and bathed your girl which is great. You could just continue to monitor these bumps to see if they decrease in size and smooth out, or whether they turn in to scabs. If she starts really scratching at her face, then you will need to get her an elizabethan collar (e-collar) asap to help limit 'self-trauma'. Giving a little Benadryl may also potentially help reduce the inflammation here. It sounds like you have already given her some, but just as a reminder, the typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl .
If these bumps don't seem to settle in the next couple of days, you will definitely need to get your girl seen by your local vet. Here they can more carefully examine her bumps, and perhaps even carry out a skin scrape to ensure these aren't caused by mites.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I thought I would check in quickly to see how Mae Sue is doing? How are the bumps looking today?
It would be great to get an update from you when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mae Sue. How is everything going?

Pet Doc