Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My shih tzu is 13 years old. I am having so much trouble with

Customer Question

My shih tzu is 13 years old. I am having so much trouble with her eyes. They get this hard gunk on them sometimes completely on the her eyes. I usually put her in the tub with me with warm water and try to remove all of it. It is easier to remove when I put water on them because it makes it soft. But she hates it. She has always hated taking a bath and she fights me. Now there is blood around her eyes. I have been to the vet several times, but they treat me like I am abusing her. I also try to trim her hair, but again she fights. Even when there are two of us to hold her, she will not stay still. Please, what do I do. Thank you. Debbue
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Debbie, has Angel's vet performed a Schirmer tear test? A Shih Tzu of 13 years of age is at risk for keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS/"dry eye") which, when advanced, can be represented just as you described. Without sufficient tears being produced, mucus is produced in excess in an attempt to protect the eyes but that mucus eventually dries into hard gunk and secondary infections of the eyelids are common - the blood around her eyes is likely to represent that infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No my vet has not done any tests on Angel. He has given him antibiotics and vetropolycin HC.
Oh dear. Such a simple test which is likely to reveal why Angel's eyes have become the way they are. If Angel's vet resists doing any more than dispensing antibiotics and vetropolycin HC, please consider having Angel see another vet who will perform the Schirmer Tear Test - a one minute in the exam room test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to I handle her when she fights me to give her a bath or to try and cut her hair around her face?
You can't both restrain her and also bathe and clip her. You'll need a helper or a groomer to do these things for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that. That is what we do. My daughter will hold her why I try to help her.
You're a good team, then. Now let's get those eyes tested! The two of you will need to restrain her and medicate those eyes properly at least twice daily if I'm correct about her having "dry eyes".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but you didn't really give me any information that I didn't already know
No worries. I'll opt out which will give other experts an opportunity to respond to you. Please don't leave a rating or respond to me - both of which will dissuade other experts from entering our conversation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much longer will it take for me to receive an answer? Thank you. Debbie
I'm sorry that other experts haven't entered the conversation yet. Perhaps there isn't more that they can offer that you already know. You can try relisting your question or continuing to be patient.