Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My westie, Rex, has dark gray skin he doesn't seem to have

Customer Question

My westie, Rex, has dark gray skin he doesn't seem to have any itching. Can you tell me why his skin is dark?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Westies are prone to skin problems as you may already know and are also prone to endocrine problems such as hypothyroidism, adrenal gland dysfunction, etc. The most common problem with skin in Westies is atopic dermatitis, which is similar to allergies of unknown origin. With chronic skin irritation or endocrine diseases they get what is called hyperpigmentation. This is were more melanin pigment is deposited in the skin than normal and they develop blackened areas or blackened spots on the skin. The fact that it is more generalized for her and that there are no significant skin issues with licking, redness, hair loss makes me lean more towards an endocrine condition for Rex.
The pigmentation is very noticeable due to the white color of the hair and the usual pink skin color of the dogs. This is not a problem in and of itself and usually doesn't require any special treatment. Although this could be an indicator of a more severe problem such as thyroid or adrenal disease that may need to be treated.
If it progresses (Typically I like to take weekly photos at different angles to monitor for progression), I would recommend a full exam and workup with your veterinarian to rule out any underlying conditions that could be treated. I would not panic about just the hyperpigmentation especially if your dog has had some skin irritations or allergies in the past.
Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Donna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rex. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman