Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog died 2:00 on Friday. She was kept at room temp till

Customer Question

My dog died 2:00 on Friday. She was kept at room temp till 6:00 pm the next day they put her in a freezer. My vet feels it has been to long now for him to do an autopsy. Would you agree?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about the nature of this question and your loss of Shadow. It is never too late to do an autopsy in the sense that one can still be done. Will it give an answer as to why she passed? That is the big question. The time at being at room temperature can cause some denaturing of tissues / degradation that can cause an answer to not be found if it isn't obvious. With her being in the freezer, it would take time to thaw out the body to then do the autopsy and this process can cause some artifactual changes too. Could an answer still be found on an autopsy as to why she passed? It could show some potential causes, but it could miss others. The ideal situation for an autopsy is on a body that has been kept cool and not frozen. You could still ask your vet to do one knowing that the situation isn't by any means ideal. If an answer is found, then you will have that. If one isn't found, that is very possible too.