Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I have three dogs, two goldens and a clumber spaniel. Today

Customer Question

I have three dogs, two goldens and a clumber spaniel. Today my male golden (about 7years old) has been vomiting. It started last night when he threw up his supper. Today he threw up his breakfast. Yesterday his stools were loose but they are fine today. After vomiting this morning, he has lost his appetite. When I tried to feed him a small treat just now he turned away and then twice vomited a substance that is yellow in color and like a thick water. Otherwise he is just more withdrawn than usual. I cannot get in to see my doctor until late tomorrow afternoon. Any advice? should I try to give him a Peptobismal?
I should add that we took him to a park on Saturday and he may have overdone it--he loves to run after a ball. He also drank a lot of water at the (dog) park. He also has been eating grass, as have my other dogs who are not sick.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thanks for your question regarding your Golden Retriever boy. I am currently typing up a response for you and should have something to you in 5 - 10 minutes.
Thanks for your patience.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thanks again for your question regarding your Golden Retriever boy. As you can imagine, there are a number of possible causes for this vomiting including anything from acute gastroenteritis, to a toxicity, to intestinal parasites. As you say, it is definitely possible this began from perhaps getting in to something at the park. It is very unlikely this all began from him just over-doing it however. It is a relief to hear your other two dogs are currently fine. Just in case this is an infectious gastroenteritis, please try to get your sick Golden boy away from the other two. Also be sure to wash your hands carefully after petting and handling him, as some canine infectious GI bugs can affect humans too (salmonella and campylobacter for example).
First things first - please try and encourage your boy's water intake - this is very important. All of this vomiting means he has an increased need for water, so it is very important this is available all the time. If he can't keep water down, then you need to get him to your local Vet clinic or ER vet for intravenous fluids. The best plan for today would be to with-hold his food for the next 10 - 12 hours. You can then start him on a bland diet of cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast and rice for a few days, after this time.
Please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate today as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the Vet.
If the vomiting continues today, despite with-holding food and if he isn't keeping much water down, then you really should get him seen today if you can. In the meantime, you may want to try a little Pepcid. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of this here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx
Best of luck with your boy and do continue to keep a close eye on him. As above - if he can't keep water down, then he could quickly become dehydrated, so make sure you get him seen if this is the case.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I thought I would check in quickly to see how you got on with your Golden Retriever boy? I hope he has improved after the last day or so.
It would be great to get an update from you when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc