Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our 80 pound boxer is taking clavamox to clear skin infection.

Customer Question

Our 80 pound boxer is taking clavamox to clear skin infection. We believe our 25 pound puppy ate one of his pills this morning. She seems a bit lethargic---will she be ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.
Friend, a single dose of clavamox for an 80 lbs dog to a 25 dog will not be toxic; very likely not cause any symptoms. As far as symptoms usually limited to mild gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea. I would keep an eye on her, if she develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!