Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog as a lot of problems, heart problem he had heart

Customer Question

My dog as a lot of problems, heart problem he had heart attack. He as 100% other eye 80% cataracts and enlarged prostrate we didn't have him done. Which blood his in urine­čś×also he as a swollen bum hole looks sore and diarrhoea and is going of his food.
Eating only a little, enough to get his meds down. Lost weight. He is sleeping a lot! But still goes for walks but slowly still ­čśŐbecause he cant see. worried about my little man still handsome Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry you have so many issues with your dog.
The swelling around the anus and blood in the urine are both probably related to prostate disease and not being neutered. The enlarged prostate can press on the urethra and bowels to cause these signs. They can also get hernias at the back of the abdomen (perineal hernia) that pouch out around the anus. The treatment for this is neutering. Sometimes we'll also have to tighten the perineum if there is a hernia present.
The cataracts are just due to old age. As long as the heart is healthy enough, ie stable, he should do ok with the surgery and post-op care.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.