Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

MY Aussie has been to the vet th past 2 yeas because of a solid

Customer Question

MY Aussie has been to the vet th past 2 yeas because of a solid lump under her eye. They did a biopsy, teeth exam and clean (she has a chipped tooth, not molar) and the only thing that worked to get rid of the lump ended up being an antibiotic and hydroxyzine mixture. It came back a month ago only for a day or two. Now it is back and it has been 3 days. She seems pretty sad the past 2 days. Do I just give her an antihistamine again and wait? I spent over $1,000 last time for the biopsy, dental exam, etc. at Banfield Hospital. I am thinking I should get an anti-biotic for her, what would you suggest I do from here? Here eye is not red and the area is not swollen like 2 years ago. But I don't want to wait for it to get worse.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I think I would start the antihistamine now, and then call up your vet to see if they can call in a script for an antibiotic to a local pharmacy for you. If that doesn't allow it to go down completely, then I would probably re-check dental x-rays and see if a tooth needs to be removed.
Typically, when there is swelling under the eye from dental disease, we'll just remove the affected teeth and it's curative. Antibiotics help, but removal of the infected tooth root is the treatment of choice. Any chipped or fractured tooth has the potential to become infected, as the pulp canal is open and bacteria moves through the pulp canal into the root. From there, it can abscess and cause swelling under the eye, behind the eye or on the lower jaw, depending on which tooth is affected.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.