Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a nearly 2 year old male shiba inu. He sometimes vomits

Customer Question

I have a nearly 2 year old male shiba inu. He sometimes vomits up his 1st feeding of the day and is fine after that (for his second and third). I only give him a palm full of dry dog food so I don't think volume is the issue. He has been doing this periodically since a small pup. Any idea why he might have this issue in the morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if your lad only vomits in the morning at breakfast time and has done so since puppy hood, then I suspect you are seeing a benign condition called bilious vomiting syndrome. This is a condition that is commonly seen in dogs and can occur at any age where the dog’s gall bladder jumps the gun, secretes bile before the dog has even eaten and this abnormally enters the stomach from the intestine. This causes stomach upset and can lead to vomiting before or just after the morning meal.

As well, in the same vein though less common, we can see similar signs if he has a potentially weak valve between the esophagus and stomach or stomach and small intestine.

In any case, when we see this with happen with otherwise healthy dogs, we can often make a few changes to their feeding routine to settle this. First, you can try either feeding him a small meal just before bedtime or (if he isn't greedy) leave food down for him so he has access to food earlier in the morning then when you normally feed. Alternatively, if you are an early riser, you can try offering his breakfast a few hours earlier.

Alternatively, you can also help prevent this early morning vomiting by treating him with an antacid at bedtime. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). Of course, do double check with his vet if he is on any medication or has a pre-existing condition you haven't mention.

Overall, we can see this type of benign vomiting in our dogs when their stomach is unsettled before breakfast (usually in anticipation of it). Therefore, do try amending how you feed him to reduce his risk of morning vomiting and if you are struggling with this then just consider offering a wee dose of an antacid to settle this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )