Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog killed a salamander on the patio the other day and was

Customer Question

my dog killed a salamander on the patio the other day and was attempting to eat it. Will this harm him in any manner?? Also he has a "hacking like cough" at nite. I did take him to a Vet 10 days ago and he is on doxycycline 100 mg twice a day. I don't think it is helping him -- he has taken the pills for a period of 10 days. thank you. ***@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
No, salamanders aren't toxic to dogs. A hacking cough only at night suggests an allergic etiology for that cough because many pollens are at their highest concentration at night. An infectious bronchitis isn't commonly found in dogs; instead, a sterile bronchitis should be suspected - particularly because you haven't seen a positive response to doxycycline - the antibiotic of choice when addressing infectious tracheobronchitis (kennel cough).
If you didn't see remission in that cough shortly, X-rays of Riley's chest and a heartworm test would be my next diagnostics. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with you outside of this venue.