Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog ate coffee grinds from the trash. She weighs 30lbs

Customer Question

Hi my dog ate coffee grinds from the trash. She weighs 30lbs and I'm not sure how much she ate..
She ate it yesterday about 3p.
I didn't know it was toxic until I just looked it up on the internet. She has had diarrhea yesterday and today. She did eat today and just tired tonight.
Her diarrhea had blood in the beginning but is brown now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl Coco who managed to eat some coffee grinds from the trash yesterday. As you may have read, coffee can cause all sorts of symptoms in dogs that eat it including anything from an increased heart rate, to restlessness, tremors, or even seizures potentially.

If your girl ate this yesterday, then she won't develop any of these symptoms now if she hasn't already. It sounds as though she luckily hasn't eaten enough to cause the worrying symptoms we can sometimes see with the ingestion of coffee grinds. It sounds like she just has a little gastroenteritis now. For this, you can start your girl on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for a few days. The pepto bismol may also help potentially. The typical dose is around 0.5ml per pound of body weight twice daily and you can read more about the use of pepto bismol in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx

Hopefully Coco's loose stool settles down in the next day or two. If she starts vomit, develops any new symptoms, or if the diarrhea hasn't improved by Wednesday, you will need to get your girl seen by your local vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Sabrina,

I thought I would check in quickly to see how you got on with Coco overnight? Hopefully her diarrhea starts settling down pretty quickly.

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E