Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 2-year-old 30 lbs terrier ate a bone-shaped rawhide about

Customer Question

My 2-year-old 30 lbs terrier ate a bone-shaped rawhide about 6 hours ago, began vomiting and now her body is slightly shaking when laying down. I read online it could be arsenic poisoning. It's 1:00 am so can't take her to vet yet. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your message. I will start typing up a response now, and should have something to you within the next 10 minutes or so regarding your girl.

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your terrier girl who has started vomiting around 6 hours after eating a bone shaped rawhide chew. This is very unlikely to be related to arsenic poisoning, so please don't worry about this. The most likely causes here are a gastroenteritis due to something she has eaten in the last 12 hours (including potentially the rawhide chew), a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything around your yard she could get in to), or even a partial or complete obstruction if she has managed to swallow a large piece of the rawhide chew you gave her.

Given this started after the rawhide chew, my main concern here is the last possibility mentioned above. Very often I see young dogs who have managed to swallow large pieces of bone or rawhide that ends up lodging in the stomach or small intestine. This then causes either a complete or partial 'foreign body' obstruction, sometimes leading to either endoscopy to remove the material, or in many cases, a full surgery to physically remove the material.

If this is the case, then there isn't a lot you can do at this point this evening, however you can definitely monitor your girl, with hold her food for now, and try her with a little pepcid. If the vomiting continues tomorrow morning, then you will need to get her down to your local vet as soon as they open tomorrow for a full physical exam and possibly an xray or ultrasound to see if there could be an obstruction.

As above - for now, please with hold her food until tomorrow morning. Make sure she has plenty of water available now however and encourage her to drink. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you need to have her seen by your local ER vet now if you can. From tomorrow morning you can try her with a little bland food to see if she can keep it down. For this, cooked, boneless skinless chicken breast and white rice is ideal.

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Best of luck with your girl and as above - please get her seen now if she is very uncomfortable or can't keep water down. Definitely follow up with your vet tomorrow morning if the vomiting continues, so that they can rule out an obstruction due to her swallowing a piece of the rawhide. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

I thought I would check in to see how you got on last night? I hope your little one is improving today, or if not, that you managed to get her girl in to your local vet to ensure her symptoms aren't due to a foreign body obstruction.

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E