Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 8 year old female lab mix seems to have a swollen rectum.

Customer Question

My 8 year old female lab mix seems to have a swollen rectum. It doesnt seem to be real pronounced, but still concerns me. About 4 days ago, when pooping she had a long hair stuck in her anus. I stuck my finger in her anus to fish out the hair, much like
I do when expressing anal glands. The hair came out without any real resistance and her bowel movements have been normal since. Today I noticed her licking her back side, so I looked and noticed inflammation. I went ahead and expressed the anal glands, and
have been on edge all day trying to monitor the swelling. I can lift her tail and take a picture if they may help. She also takes apoquel daily and has for about a year and a half for chronic itching.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Based on your history, we can see rectal inflammation related to any irritation of the rectum. This could have been related to the hair issue or anal glands, but in any case if she licks the area excessively, then that is all that needs to happen to have this area begin to become inflamed and swollen.
Therefore, as long as the glands are clear and there are no sores/wounds in this area, we'd want to first block her access to the area. To do so, you can place an e-collar or reversed boxer shorts (so her tail an go out the hole). Further to that, we'd want to keep the area clean by bathing it with a mild antiseptic (ie chlorohexidine, salt water, etc). Once that has been done, you can apply and OTC hydrocortisone cream to the area to reduce the itchiness that is driving her to lick, help soothe the skin and help break the inflammation cycle.
Overall, the hair isn't like a factor if it was removed without resistance and in this case Cooper sounds to be her own worst enemy in irritating her rectum. Therefore, we'd want to break the cycle and reduce irritation to soothe her skin and help get this back to normal for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )