How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16202
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What to give a dog that ate 90% coco bar

Customer Question

What to give a dog that ate 90% coco bar
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did he have this?
How much does he weigh?
How many grams was the bar?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
early this afternoon i guess. I was at church, weights about 10lbs. the bar is 100gr
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just weighed him 14lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I am afraid that I cannot offer this additional service at this time. Still, since your lad's situation is quite a worry with how strong the chocolate was and how small a dog he is, I do want to provide some information to help guide you on how to help him.
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, chocolate ingestion can be dangerous to our dogs. If he is small and the chocolate was this pure, then we'd be worried about a severe toxicity here. Therefore, adverse signs –both mild GI and severe ones --are a real risk here.
Specifically, with doses this high we will often see GI signs (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, drooling, etc) within 2-4 hours post ingestion. Further to that, we do also have the risk of this toxicity causing an irregular/fast heart rate, abnormal breathing, tremors and even seizures (which can appear up to 12-36 hours post chocolate intoxication).
Now if it has been <2 hours, then we do have a few options. To start, we’d be best to consider inducing vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and just get it into him. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get him to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing his ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of his stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
Afterwards, we can also start him on activated charcoal from the pharmacy to bind any remaining chocolate in his stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound is given every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much he absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Otherwise, since this is a severe situation, it would be ideal to consider getting his vet involved. They will be able to put him on IV fluids to flush the chocolate toxin (theobromine) out of his system before it can cause any lasting harm. Furthermore, they can use the above to decontaminate and give anti-vomiting treatment by injection to keep any GI signs at bay.
Overall, this is a high dose toxicity for your lad. So, this does raise a real worry here. Therefore, in this case, it would be best to be cautious at this stage. Therefore, do consider inducing vomiting and treating with activated charcoal to limit his risk here. But if you can not for any reason or he did start vomiting (due to chocolate toxin absorption), then we'd need to think about getting him to the vet for IV fluids and supportive care to reduce the harm this high dose could cause him.
In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )