Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Raygan's a 10 y/o,4.75lb, Yorkie/Pom mix with left sided Mitral

Customer Question

Raygan's a 10 y/o,4.75lb, Yorkie/Pom mix with left sided Mitral Valve Disease diagnosed Nov 2014, and recent CHF diagnosis with Chordae Tendinae rupture. Suddenly pooping alot in the house and straining and grunting when she's trying to go when outside. Cardiologist prescribed Mirtazipine PRN for appetite, increased Lasix 0.07cc to 3x day, Vetmedin 2x day, Benazepril 1x day, Spironolactone (I forget dose), and Hydrocodone syrup 2x day PRN for cough. We're cooking her meals at home from a list of meals from Cardiologist: Chicken, potatoes, garlic, corn, green beans, crushed eggshells, and crushed vitamin supplement My father thinks we need to put her down bc she's going all over the house all of a sudden, but I think we just need to get her upset stomach under control. Is there anything I can do here at home to make her more comfortable?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so very sorry that no one has assisted you yet today and that your little one is having such difficulties with her heart and now her gi tract.
Please bear with me while I go through a few of the questions individually then will give additional recommendations.
- I definitely would not advise immodium, this can be quite toxic in some breeds but the dose is very tiny and a little dog like yours would have to take a microscopic dose. It is something I simply never use because of risk of complications from its use, I look at why we are having the diarrhea and address it directly thereby resulting in resolution of the diarrhea
- I strongly urge you to have your veterinarian evaluate a fresh or refrigerated fecal sample to ensure there is nothing that requires therapy such as an imbalance in her bacteria flora requiring probiotics or a clostridial overgrowth (a type of bacteria) that can occur with stress (physical or emotional) that might require the reglan you mentioned. Is this colonic or small intestine? Colonic diarrhea tends to be somewhat formed in the beginning and often has blood or mucus in it along with the straining you mentioned while small intestinal issues more commonly are straight diarrhea with no formation whatsoever.
- Adding a few things for now that will help with the diarrhea until you can see your vet (some will just require the fecal if she has been seen recently while others will require an examination) such as white rice and/ or 1 tsp per canned pumpkin per meal. This is safe with her medications as well as with her heart disease and will reduce colonic inflammation and hopefully help form the stool a bit
- Please make sure the garlic you are using is in very small quantities. Garlic in larger amounts and in chronic administration can be toxic to dogs
- Pepcid or famotidine 0.25 mg/ pound so for a typical dog of her size this would be 1/4 tablet of a 10 mg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach
I hope this information is helpful to you but please let me know how else I can assist you both. I am on-line most of the evening bearing a dinner break... I truly hope your little one is feeling better soon!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman