How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Andy Your Own Question
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29982
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Andy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was spraying to kill ants on the roof, Our 100 lb.

Customer Question

My husband was spraying to kill ants on the roof, Our 100 lb. Lab might have ingested a small piece of Moss that had spray on it, the Main chemical on the bottle is listed as, LAMBDA-CYHALOTHRIN 0.03%, the remainder 99.97% OTHER. He put this on yesterday at about 3 p.m. and we did not let him out until about 6 p.m.
**He had Diarrhea about 3 a.m., then threw up part of his food at 12 p.m. today.
Otherwise he is acting fairly normal and playing, but laying down more than usual. (He is almost 1 Year old.)
Should we worry??
Let me know a.s.a.p. Thank you, Jill
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for him.
Well, I am actually surprised that he is sick at all. Ant poison has very little toxicity to it. In fact, when pets get in to ant traps, often, vets are more concerned about pets ingested the plastic parts of the trap, as opposed to, the bait inside.
So, to be exhibiting vomiting and diarrhea, I do think this is worth a vet visit today for supportive care. I am not confident, at all, that his illness is even due to the ant bait. I think he may be more sick due to the moss itself.
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
I would not try to feed him for at least another 8 to 12 hours to allow the stomach to rest. So, ideally, a vet visit is worth it, since I know they can prescribe some good medication for both the stomach and intestinal upset.
Good Luck!
Dr. Andy