Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog is not wanting to jump up to the bed and seems lethargic.

Customer Question

my dog is not wanting to jump up to the bed and seems lethargic. what should i do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Kayson.
Does he have any history of spinal problems or leg issues?
When did this start?
Is he eating and drinking normally?
Any other signs of illness like vomiting or diarrhea in the past few days.
Without jumping, does he still walk normally otherwise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i noticed it last night when i got home. He was running around alot yesterday. He has no history of any issues and is not vomiting. He will walk fine but when he goes up my stairs he will slow down and take it very slow. I also checked his paws to see if something was stuck and he did not cry.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Understood Max.
Certainly, the history of playing a lot yesterday is very suspicious.
I don't think we can rule-out a possible soft tissue trauma or other injury that is contributing to what you are observing. Now, whether that is located in one of his extremitiies, body, or spine, we may never know.
So, fortunately, he doesn't appear to be ill or exhibiting bad pain in any other way.
But, to clearly not want to jump is a red flag.
Ideally, he will need to get in to a vet for a good evaluation.
If possible, try to also record him trying to get up, as that could provide the vet some clues. But, a good palpation of the body and range of motion of the joints to try and isolate the problem would be useful.
Plus, a vet could prescribe some good pain medication and/or a trial with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, which I think is your best course of action!
I will mention aspirin use below, but not a big fan. Nothing like what a vet could prescribe to get him back on track.
The only over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory I recommend in dogs (NOT CATS) is aspirin. Due to potential toxicity issues if not dosed correctly, many veterinarians do not consider Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Advil), and Aleve safe.
You can give 10mg per pound of body weight up to every 12 hours. Just remember, there are different pill sizes for aspirin, so look to see if it is regular strength or maximum strength.
Aspirin can be upsetting to the stomach, so discontinue if any digestive upset and definitely consult a vet if not helpful. If available, buffered aspirin, with the enteric coating, can help as well. Sometimes giving some Pepcid A.C. antacid 1 hour beforehand can be helpful.
Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
***Do not give aspirin or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication if your pet is already on prednisone or any other anti-inflammatory medication***
Severe stomach and intestinal ulcers can result from giving a pet aspirin, tylenol or ibuprofen when they are also on medications like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Prednisone, Metecam, Zubrin, and Previcox***
If he has any pre-existing liver or kidney disease, give him nothing and make sure to get him scheduled for a vet exam. Good Luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so i can call a vet on Monday or should i take him to an emergency place?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Tough question Max.
My primary concern is that he clearly is refusing to jump and we have the recent history of hard exercise yesterday that could have easily contributed to some type of injury.
Taking the history in to consideration, I am worried about how long this could persist, and that he would be uncomfortable for the entire time. So, I do vote for a vet visit today, just to get him on good supportive medication sooner.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Max,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kayson. How is everything going?