Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

How much prednisone should a 94pd dog be given

Customer Question

How much prednisone should a 94pd dog be given for allergies
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
What has the veterinarian originally prescribed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has not we had some prednisone from our other dog we have an appt on wed but Kodi seems very uncomfortable and I thought we could start him on some I am a registered nurse
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Understood.
I am going to opt out to see if another vet is comfortable answering this question.
Without a proper patient-client-doctor relationship, it is extremely dangerous for a vet to give you direction on the use of a prescription medication, especially a steroid.
Without knowing a full history and recent blood work, suggesting its okay to give the prednisone could be trouble. If a complication where to arise, it would be 100% my liability.
I would not suggest giving the prednisone until your vet consultation.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
This LINK will give you the specifics of dosage for this medication.
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/prednisone--prednisolone
AS a nurse, you know that this is a prescription medication and can only be given when prescribed by your vet. Steroids can cause multiple side effects so make sure that you consult your vet before using this medication to be sure it is safe for poor Kodi.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****