Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Female dog jus finished being in heat, vulva swollen and won't

Customer Question

female dog jus finished being in heat, vulva swollen and won't stop licking...could this be a UTI? what can I do natural
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This certainly could be a urinary tract infection. If so, you may see other symptoms such as increased drinking and urinations, and possible straining to urinate.
However, there are other possible issues. My top worry is a uterine infection (pyometra) which can cause urinary tract-like symptoms. If this is not caught early, then she could get quite ill to the point she stops eating. If this does develop, then it becomes an emergency to perform a spay.
There is not much at home you can do for this, unfortunately. This is going to require a trip to see her veterinarian today or tomorrow to try to determine if this is a UTI or a pyometra. And then prescription medication to clear.
As a side note the vulva can remain swollen many weeks after a dog is in heat without any worries.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.