Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a female golden retriever, 7 years old. She does not want to get up and eat. She is

Customer Question

I have a female golden retriever, 7 years old. She does not want to get up and eat. She is some overweight but we have her on diet, controlling how much she eats. She always eats well.
This dog was very active when young, and swims, but through the years she has become "lazy" and apparently fat (she is neutered). She has been eating less and less, and apparently become lazier. But today does not want to get up and eat. Current food has been a mix of solid commercial pellets (Natural Choice brand, but we had others similar in the past), vegetable fiber (kale + carrot), and can dog food. (I add drops of cider vinegar, as she had re-flux, and that has helped).
She does have a "sort of big" belly -- our thought is that she ate something years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry that sweet Rita is not feeling well...
There are many possibilitis for how she is acting today. I fear that she has arthritis that has become aggravated and is causing her a great deal of pain so that she does not want to get up or eat. Her weight does not help this situation. If you can get her to eat even a small amount, give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to see if she will respond....
I would recommend that you take her to your vet on Monday for a full blood work and xrays. This bloated appearance could mean that she has heart disease or liver disease that is causing her distress and lethargy.
I am hoping that the aspirin which will alleviate some of sweet Rita's pain, will get her through so your vet can run tests to determine the actual cause.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****