Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is breathing heavy and runnign around the house sniffing

Customer Question

My dog is breathing heavy and runnign around the house sniffing and going crazy. Not like her, she is four. She drank a lot of water.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. May I have an update on Cheyenne, please? Those symptoms are more likely to represent an intoxication with a prescription or recreational drug than an allergic reaction that would also cause an allergic dermatitis as evidenced by her licking. The symptoms could also indicate a behavioral response to pheromones (odors that animals excrete to communicate with others in their species).
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is better today. Her pupils have reduced in size and she is breathing normally. She was foudn to be allergic to chicken, and that is why she scratches and licks her fur off. Wondering if she got some chicken from kids that day. We have chickens and were wondering if we brought the smell of chickens into the home.
Julie
Thank you for the good update. I would have expected a pruritic (itchy) dog about the face, ears, paws and "bum" if she had been experiencing symptoms of food intolerance but there certainly are atypical allergic reactions. Most important, she has remissed.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.