Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I had a 7 month old golden retriever yesterday who gulped a

Customer Question

I had a 7 month old golden retriever yesterday who gulped a mouse she found...behavior and activity have been normal but now her stools are loose.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern. It is actually possible for a mouse to even cause an obstruction in the intestinal tract, so I would advise against waiting too long on a vet visit. Many times, I think an abdominal x-ray is well worthwhile, to see if the mouse is passing through the digestive tract or not.
Otherwise, you don't really want to give immodium, which will just slow down the intestinal tract and really cover up the problem.
In addition, not so sure your vet would want you giving pepto bismol either.
You can feed a bland diet, but if diarrhea persists, the vet will want to start some other medication for diarrhea and consider those abdominal x-rays.
Here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
And
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice
Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including Science Diet I/D formula.
Also, if Roxanne at any point looses her appetite or tries to vomit, then my concern is greater for obstruction.
Good Luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two vets consulted yesterday: Vet one asked about if any mouse/rat poison was used on property...it is not. Indicated it would either come up or out. Vet two said to watch stool for next few weeks for any signs of worms.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
1. Vet one. Well, the amount of rat bait that would have been consumed by 1 mouse would likely be so minimal, it has no impact on your pet.
2. The second vet. Watching stool for next few weeks is a long time. If their only concern is worms, why not just give a good broad-spectrum dewormer instead of waiting for complication.
3. Vet three is me. Stools are already loose so its having an impact on your pet. Therefore, why wait several days for supportive care. I feel that getting some supportive treatment sooner might be the better course of action.
Otherwise, my fear is infection or obstruction. So, if an issue were to develop, it will definitely be within the next few days.
Hope that clarification helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor,Would you expect the soft stools she is encountering now as she is trying to pass the mouse?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Yes or digestive upset from her stomach acid breaking down the mouse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it best to just monitor or run out to emergency vet for xray?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
That's a tough question.
If close and money not too much of an issue, I kind of vote for the vet visit now.
If there were no symptoms at all, I would be a bit less worried. But, from this side of a computer screen and that diarrhea has started, I vote for a trip sooner than later.
But, if you do wait, here are some extra guidelines about needing an ER visit:
Emergency:
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roxanne. How is everything going?