Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has been lethargic all day. Hasn't pooped today but

Customer Question

My dog has been lethargic all day. Hasn't pooped today but has urinated. It looks like there is a small raised bump on is back (lower back above and behind were ribs end). When I pressed on it, he yelped. It's about 2 inches in diameter, but raised very slightly. How concerning is this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS: dog is about 20 lbs in size.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Fred.
2 inches in diameter is quite large. Without question, I do feel this is worth a vet visit today. Why?
Well, if it was a benign nodule or cyst, it wouldn't be painful.
If it seems sensitive to the touch, it may be some type of hypersensitivity reaction or even an abscess developing.
In addition, he is lethargic, and I don't know if the lethargy and the raised bump are related. So, there may be two separate issues worth investigation.
If the vet is unsure what is going on, they may suggest a fine needle aspirate test first.
Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.
Good Luck