Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

So my dog is pregnant she is about 4 weeks and she is having

Customer Question

So my dog is pregnant she is about 4 weeks and she is having a brown discharge. It's not sticky or have a smell. She keeps licking her vulva. This week she is back to her normal self. Eating again, playing, has more energy, last week she didn't eat much, she was lazy, and did not want bothered by anyone she is doing so good now, and now she is having this brownish discharge. Why. What does it mean
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lilly. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
I am concerned about this discharge. Has she been confirmed to be pregnant, by an exam by her veterinarian, or ultrasound?
Can you take her temperature with a rectal thermometer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she was checked by be they felt her belly and said there was enough small bumps that did not feel like poop and they thought she was pregnant we do an xray on the 9th. Her temp is 100.5 and she is not acting sick at all. Also her mom has had several litters and her owner said with every pregnancy she also had a brownish discharge a few time during all the pregnancies. I cant afford an ultrasound they want 200.00 dollars and i cant do that right now
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
If her mother had a discharge like this, it may be normal. I have a couple of concerns: One, that she could be miscarrying and Two, that she may have a uterine infection. Sometimes about a month after being in heat, dogs develop an infection called a pyometra, and you could see a discharge from the vulva if she had an infection.
If she is eating, does not have a fever, and her mother before her did this, she is probably OK. If her appetite goes away, or if she acts sick, I would have her checked out by her veterinarian.
Let me know what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alicia Shaffer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilly. How is everything going?