Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 5 year old neutered male dog is panting, has pain under

Customer Question

My 5 year old neutered male dog is panting, has pain under his right back thigh and now has problems getting into the car. In the past week I have noticed a strange smell coming from him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Now if Crombie has pain in his backside and you are noticing a strange odor (possibly fishy), then I would be suspicious that he may be have issue with his anal glands. These glands can become infected and/or impacted and often are painful when this occurs. If left, they can even rupture and we can see blood in their stool or wounds next to the rectum. Otherwise, another but less likely concern would be the potential for an abscess. These can smell of pus and appear anywhere the skin has suffered a trauma that has allowed bacteria to gain access to the tissues. And these too can be very sore.
So, these would be our main concerns based on the signs you have noted. And since he is in discomfort, we'd want to consider having a check with his vet. They can express the glands and start antibiotics if infection is found. Furthermore, they can put him on a dog safe anti-inflammatory to soothe any inflammation, reduce pain, and get him more comfortable for you.
Finally, just to note in case you were keen to have him seen today, some veterinary practices in our country have Sunday office hours. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get him seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get him checked out sooner then there are options to have him seen today too.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )