Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

My dog eating everything in site and trying to vomit but breathing

Customer Question

My dog eating everything in site and trying to vomit but breathing fine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. I have a few questions, if that's ok.
- what do you mean by 'eating everything in sight' - has she done that previously or is this what she is doing now?
- is she eating anything at the moment - what is she trying to eat?
- what do you normally feed her and has this changed recently?
- is she a scavenger?
- can you describe what she does when she tries to vomit?
- does she bring anything up?
- is she panting at all?
- any change to her abdomen?
- how long has this been going on?
- any diarrhoea?
Sorry for the number of questions - the extra information will really help. You can get back to me by hitting 'reply'. Thank you, Rosie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She just started we had pizza and she got hold of a piece of crust I don't know if that is anything but she is drinking eating grass ect on floor just sniffing floor to put anything in her mouth she vomited green leaves and white froth she stomach not big is panting but it is warm out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
L
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She lying down now not panting she look ok but occasionall liking chops
Thank you for getting back to me with that additional information. To be honest, what you are saying is concerning to me. I wouldn't worry about the pizza crust. The main thing that I am worried about with her is that she is panting in combination with the vomiting. Panting in this situation usually means that they are sore internally - that her stomach hurts her. Dogs usually eat grass when they feel sick, to try and settle their stomachs (it doesn't really work).
There are a few things which could be going on with her. One of the most common causes of a stomach ache and vomiting is pancreatitis. This is where the pancreas becomes annoyed and angry, and it can sometimes lead to a very sick patient indeed. Normally patients with pancreatitis need to be admitted for fluids (to go on a drip), pain relief and medications to settle their stomachs. The vast majority of patients do very well with the proper treatment.
There are a couple of other things which could be going on. One is that she has eaten something really silly - like a piece of string or a toy - which has become lodged inside. This can make them feel very ill indeed. If she has done this then she would need urgent surgery to physically remove the obstruction. I am also slightly concerned about bloat - this is a life-threatening condition where the stomach fills with air, and can twist on itself. Some of the more early signs include panting, pacing, restlessness, and trying to vomit but nothing much coming out. This can then progress to visible swelling of the abdomen. These cases always need urgent surgery.
I hope that it isn't any of the above. I hope that she has just eaten something silly, or caught a virus, that is making her feel a bit sick. I just got your second message - if she is lying down and stopped panting then it would be worthwhile monitoring her to see if she continues to improve. If she does then I think she was just sore from being sick and should continue to get better. In that case I would feed her bland food (chicken and rice, or fish and potato) for a few days to settle things down. I would also feed little and often - so split her food into smaller meals so as not to overload her stomach with too much at once.
If she starts panting, pacing, retching (trying to be sick), or vomiting again then I would head to a vets to get her checked out. They will be able to assess if she needs emergency treatment, or if you can treat her at home with medication.
I hope I've helped - if you have any questions from this then just hit 'reply' again and I will get them and get back to you. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.