Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Bella- Chihuahua -rat terrier - 4-1/2 yo - 10 LBS-Stopped

Customer Question

Bella- Chihuahua -rat terrier - 4-1/2 yo - 10 LBS-
Stopped eating a day and 1/2 ago - She is very lethargic and shakes in the morning. She had those symptoms before but never for so long. Doesn't appear to be in pain anywhere... Any ideas? Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Bella is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.
Is she spayed, if not when was her last heat cycle?
Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Any chance she got in to anything toxic?
Any recent changes in diet including new foods, treats or human foods?
Does she ever eat things she should not such as toys, clothing etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi candy
She is spayed
No vomiting or diahera
No change of food or human food or toxic
She something chew/eats small twigs
She seems to have problem swallowing
She ate and drank a little 30min ago
She yelped briefly sometimes for no apparent reasons
She seems to be getting better slowly but not sure it is just a spike or not
Also her nose is nice and cold
Thanks
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay for some reason I could not get your question to open.
Trouble swallowing could be due to a perforation of the esophagus, scratches to the esophagus due to eating the stick or problems such as tonsillitis which you can rad about here http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/tonsillitis-in-dogs/726
It is concerning that she has not eaten in more then 24 hours. If this is something like tonsillitis then antibiotics will most likely be needed. Perforation or damage to the throat due to the twigs would be more concerning.
Twigs can also cause damage to the stomach and intestines.
Normally I would say we could try some aspirin but we do not want to do that if she is not eating as this could cause stomach upset.
What you can try is some honey or chamomile tea to help sooth her throat. Feed her soft foods. You can put some boiled hamburger or chicken and rice in a blender and make it in to a soup that will be easier to swallow.
If she has not eaten this can also cause an increase in stomach acid making her nauseous and not wanting to eat. You can try 1/2 of a 10mg Pepcid AC wait 30 minutes and then offer the blended food.
If she continues to refuse to eat and having trouble swallowing then I would suggest having her seen by a vet as soon as possible.
I hope this helps give you some additional options to try Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy