Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog has a swollen sore on his nose, center is black, maybe

Customer Question

my dog has a swollen sore on his nose, center is black, maybe previous tick bite... treatment at home til vet visit on Monday?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Jack has a sore on his nose. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you today.
If the center is black it could be a tick that still has the head embedded, however a spider site will often have a black center as well due to tissue necrosis.
I would clean the area twice daily with Betadine diluted with water to the color of tea allow to dry well and then apply the neosporin. I would discontinue the use of the peroxide. While good for initial cleaning it can actual cause tissue damage when used repeatedly.
If the black area becomes larger then I would get him in to see the vet before Monday
I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy