Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog is currently on prednisone leg issue the vets

Customer Question

My dog is currently on prednisone for a leg issue the vets think is arthritis. He has been limping very bad and while the prednisone did decrease the swelling, he is still limping just as bad. A friend recommended glucosamine as he gives to is dog for arthritis. He is also on colchicine (has been for a couple years) for shar pei fever.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that poor Grizzly is lame in spite of your best efforts.
I am sure that you are aware that Shar pei fever can cause lameness too, so I am pleased to hear that he is taking colchicine.
I would recommend omega 3's and glucosamines for him too. These nutraceuticals help improve cartilage and joint fluid health as well as reduce inflammation.
I recommend using a combination of a glucosamine/chondroitin product (examples are Dasuquin or Cosequin) and an omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps). I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give him 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example a 50 pound dog could take 1000mg of EPA per day. Omega 3's and glucosamine/chondroitins work synergistically and improve cartilage health and joint fluid quality and quantity as well as reducing inflammation. They can take several weeks to see full improvement but some dogs do very well with them alone. They are available over the counter.
Another option is a product called Duralactin. This is an anti-inflammatory product derived from milk proteins and it also has omega 3 fatty acids incorporated into it which can be very helpful. See this link for further information: http://www.duralactin.com/products_canine.html
Acupuncture and cold laser therapy may also improve his quality of life.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor. Very helpful. Can you confirm it is ok to use the glucosamine with the prednisone? He is still on those mess for another few days.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in my response.
Absolutely fine to use glucosamine/chondroitins and omega 3's both with Prednisone.