Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My Doberman eats peãches....he has been burping recently and

Customer Question

My Doberman eats peãches....he has been burping recently and whining. His stools look ok but his tummy is hard
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
The large amount of sugar in the peaches can cause a digestive disturbance and if a pit has been ingested, this can cause an intestinal obstruction. This whining tells me that T Bone may have this disturbance and this would be treated as follows:
Fast T Bone for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)
If the discomfort has resolved, then wean T Bone back onto regular food. If the this persists especially during the fast, take T Bone to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause an increase in gas production which can become serious or an intestinal obstruction or a Gastric Volvulus.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Jan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about T Bone. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta