Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a staffy he is 9 weeks old he has done quite a lot of

Customer Question

i have a staffy he is 9 weeks old he has done quite a lot of runny poos today and 5 or 6 in six hours not huge ones though. He is still playing and being active. I feed him pedigree but I'm changing it back to royal canine as the breeder fed hime this. The poo is night in colour. Smells bout the same as his normal ones.
Is this normal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
There are 2 things that can cause this in a young puppy. One is a worm load so be sure to give him a good wormer such as Safeguard from the pet store. The other possibility is the food change. The young dogs especially are very sensitive to any food change. This change should be done over a 2 week period. For now, feed your guy a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken and then wean him back to his regular diet.
If the stools remain soft, take a sample to your vet to rule out other conditions such as Giardia or Coccidia.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was wormed at 8 weeks there's no worms in poo. And I have not changed his food. I am going to change it. His behaviour is normal. And he didn't do a poo for a bout 3 hours.
I gave him scrambled eggs at maybe 8.30-9 and he was happy to eat it
That is a good sign....start the bland diet for a few days to see if that will calm things down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he is losing weight though. I'm very worried. I'll keep doing the bland food. Will he be okay
AS long as he is happy to eat, this will be a good sign and your guy should be ok. Be sure , if there is no improvement, to take a sample of the stool to your vet since Coccidia or Giardia is still a possibility and requires very different medications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
You are very welcome!! I hope your sweet guy feels better soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta